Email is probably the core part of the online business. When you have properly setup the website, the next thing you need to do is to setup the email addresses. Along with unlimited domains hosting, DreamHost also offers unlimited email hosting. You don’t have to pay extra to use their mail servers. In this article, I am going to show you how to create email address in DreamHost panel.
DreamHost offers two ways to setup email for your domain. In one way, you can use DreamHost mail servers for your email. That means your emails will stay hosted at DreamHost servers. In another way, you can set up google apps for your email. That means your emails will stay hosted at Google server and you will get a gmail like interface for your emails.
Setting up google apps for email is very easy. In domain edit section, just select the google app and you will have emails setup at Google apps. In this article, we will see how to setup emails at DreamHost server.
I have prepared a video in which I show you how to create email address at DreamHost. Watch following video to learn more.
In order to create email Id, follow these steps.
1) First login to DreamHost panel using your username and password.
2) In the left side navigation panel, click on Mail section. Then click on Manage Email link.
3) On this page, click on Create New Email Address button.
4) Here you need to give the name of the email address then select the domain name for which you want to set email address. Enter the mail box name. Set the password. If you want to set the quota then enter the set amount. If you don’t want to set the quota then uncheck the checkbox. Set all other settings and finally click on “Create Address” button.
5) You will see success message like following.
So you have just created one email id. You can now use that email address to give to your business partners or clients.
You can access the emails using webmail.
Access Emails Through Webmail
When you create the first email id for any domain name, DreamHost automatically create and setup sub domain for webmail. You can then access all your email from webmail. Since we have created the email id ‘email@example.com’, the webmail is setup at http://webmail.dhdjdj.com/ . Alternatively, you can access webmail from http://webmail.dreamhost.com. DreamHost has also setup the secure hosting for webmail. So you can access the webmail at https://webmail.dreamhost.com. That will give the error for self-signed certificate. Just ignore it and proceed.
Give your email address and password to access emails. DreamHost used to offer squirrelmail and roundcube as webmail software. Now DreamHost is using atmail webmail software.
Change Webmail URL
DreamHost also offers facility to change the webmail URL or disable the webmail. Follow these instructions to do so.
1) Login to DreamHost panel using your username and password.
2) Click on Mail section. Click on Webmail link.
3) Click on Edit button beside the domain for which you want to change or disable webmail.
4) On this page, check the checkbox to disable webmail. You can also change the subdomain name to change the webmail URL.
5) Once done, click on Save Changes button.
You have now changed the webmail URL. This might take 24-48 hours before it starts working.
I hope you will find the article useful.