SSH stands for Secure SHell. SSH is a protocol using which one can communicate between client and server using a secure channel. If you want to connect to the server, you need to make sure that no other person is able to see the data when you communicate to the server.
When SSH was not invented, telnet was used to communicate between server and client. Telnet is transferring data in a plain text format. So if someone reads those data, they can easily find out your user name and password. To solve this issue SSH is invented.
SSH using data in encryption format. So all the communication happens between server and client is secure. Even if someone reads the data from between they can’t understand it or use without decryption.
How SSH Prompt Looks Like?
When you connect to the server using SSH, you get SSH prompt as shown in below image.
You need to enter different commands on that prompt to perform particular tasks. For that, you will have to learn the SSH.
Enable SSH in DreamHost
When you sign up with the DreamHost, you get one user account. By default, DreamHost keeps all accounts set to FTP. If you want to use SSH, you need to enable it. Here are the steps you need to follow.
1) First login to your cPanel.
2) In the main menu, click on Users then click on Manage Users.
3) Now click on the Edit option beside the username for which you want to enable SSH.
4) In the User Type, select the Shell user option.
5) Click on save changes button. Now all the changes have been saved.
After few minutes, SSH will be enabled for your account.
Why You Need SSH?
If you are just starting out then you might not need to use SSH. Just for transferring files to and from server, you don’t need SSH. You can always use FTP to do that. There are many operations that you can easily finish using SSH command. I would suggest you to learn the SSH because that will help you in the future. Here is a list of work which you can do using SSH.
1. You can directly edit a file on the server using SSH. You don’t need edit it on your computer then upload it to the server. Sometimes there are few minor changes which you can easily do by using SSH. Although if not done correctly then it can make your life difficult because whatever you are doing using SSH directly affects your live server data.
2. You can view server raw logs using SSH. That will help you in analyzing data of your visitors. You can sort, filter and do many different operations using different commands in SSH prompt.
3. You can direct edit .htaccess file to set 301 or 302 redirects.
4. You can set or view the cron jobs using SSH.
5. You can do multiple operations on multiple files on the same time. For example, if you want to change the time stamp of last modified field for all the files then you can do that with a single command. That task will be completed only in 2 seconds.
6. You can use SCP command to transfer files from and to the server securely.
There are many more things which you can do using SSH. Once you learn it, you will find how easy life becomes after using SSH.
I hope you like the article regarding SSH. If you have any question about this article, you can always contact me.