DreamHost offers unlimited domains hosting. You can host as many domains as you want on your shared hosting plans. This is clearly written on the DreamHost official sales page. You may not know this but DreamHost also offers unlimited sub domains hosting. You can host unlimited sub domains of dreamhosters.com domain. This is the site which was made using dreamhosters.com sub domain but now it has been moved to its own domain.
What is Sub Domain?
If you don’t know what is sub domain then let me explain it with example here. Sub domain is a sub section of domain. So if you have many sub topics on the domain then you can create sub domain for each sub topic. Let’s say, there is a domain example.com. So blog.example.com, payment.example.com and demo.example.com are the sub domains of example.com.
Advantages and Disadvantages of DreamHosters.com Sub Domain
The biggest advantage of using DreamHosters.com sub domain is that you don’t have to register a domain name to create a website. So you are hosting a site on a private company but without registering a domain name. That will save you some money. Also you will not have to go through the trouble of setting up DNS servers.
The disadvantage is that you can’t create your own brand. The site URL uses dreamhosters.com domain. So your website URL becomes lengthier and complex for remembering. Another disadvantage is that you don’t own the domain name. So you cannot make any changes to its name servers. If you want to make any DNS changes then you will have to contact DreamHost support team.
Set Up Sub Domain
In the following video, I have explained how to setup DreamHosters.com sub domain on your DreamHost account. Watch it to learn sub domain setup procedure.
Follow these steps to setup a sub domain of dreamhosters.com domain.
1) Login to DreamHost panel using your username and password. You can use your email ID as user name.
2) Click on Domains section from the left side navigation panel. Then click on Manage Domains.
3) Click on “Add Hosting to a Domain/Sub-Domain” button.
4) Enter the sub domain name which you want to create. Select URL preference. Select the user under which you want to setup the domain name.
5) Leave the other options with default selection. Scroll down. Enter captcha. Then click on Fully host this domain button.
6) If the sub domain is taken by some other client of DreamHost then you will see the following error.
7) Change the sub domain name and try again. On the successful creation, you will get the following message.
So now you have a pretty good idea of how to setup dreamhosters.com sub domain. Now go ahead and create your first website on dreamhosters.com sub domain.
I hope you will take the advantage of free sub domains hosting. If like this article then please consider reading other articles on the website. You will like it.